Sunday, October 02, 2005

Relationships mixing with family.

For people who have been together, are committed, monogamous, do you ever feel that one family always has its two cents in your relationship? As if the man's family can see no wrong in his doings. Lately, I have had the chance to experience this first hand. I have been able to spend quality time with his family every single day for the past six months. Usually I adore them, but this weekend I had my fill of families. Back in Philadelphia, I never felt like I needed a break from my family, but I guess that is from the fact that I was 1500 miles away. Here, I miss family more because his family is nothing like mine. Sometimes, I feel that I can mix the family with the boyfriend quite well. We mix well together and have a good time- like a great mojito from the Islands and sticky weather. Sometimes, we don't mix well, like a hangover from cheap wine. I don't get it sometimes and it's hard to be nice when you face hostility from out of nowhere.

I wish he could spend more time to be with my family though only as a payback ritual. I wish he could spend hours with people and feel what it is like to miss your family, your dad, your town, your memories. His reaction to my reactions would be completely different. He would understand my shoes and the smell of cheap wine that I encounter sometimes.

Comments:
I understand where you are coming from in terms of family sticking their nose in other peoples relationships, but from a slightly different position.

My boyfirend's mother and sister SOOO disprove of me & him- simply because I am a different nationality than him. It drives me up the wall.

At least with your situation, they aren't trying to constantly sink your battleship. Try to keep your head up and don't forget to get away every once and a while from the family drama. It so helps in centering yourself.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?