Sunday, December 25, 2005

A Christmas Punishment

I was people watching while at the park today with my little sister (she's two) and father. The weather was about 75 degrees and the children were out in full force. There were so many different types of mommies. The "muslim mommy" with the head gear pushing her cute children on the baby swings. The 30 year old mommy with the hip clothes and cool glasses. The older mommy, who will be closing the baby factory soon, watching as her kids tear into each other. The "just over" mommy is the mommy who just came over from some foreign country. Who cares if the country is mexico or china. They are the "just over" mommies. They scold their kids right in front of everyone and could careless what people say.

Ever since I left California for Texas, I haven't seen as many teen mommies. And I don't miss it one bit! My extended family has one of these cases. Actually, this mommy had her baby when she was 20 but because she never got any support from the daddy, she is left alone to raise her.

However, from their tales (and I yes I am being judgemental but this is my blog) she was always the "little girl" who needed help wiping her butt after she went to the bathroom. And now, this teen mommy is 33 years old with a great husband and a child who seems normal but isn't great at socializing. What happens is that the parents of the teen mommy always lookout for her wellbeing but forget about the son.

I know, he's 35, but you still have to check in on your son and at least provide some positive leadership/guidance. Christmas at their house, I suppose, thank god i'm not there because Thanksgiving was about all I could stand, is definitely about the teen mommy and child. This makes me so sad for the brother, he's my boyfriend, because I imagine ourselves with children and it appears that we will be looked over year after year(I don't care about presents, but I do care about consideration and thoughtfullness... these parents lack this for the son). This is the case where you blame the parents because they never showed the teen mommy how to be independent (even though she has a great job and benefits... what else could you need.... oh i know... money saving skills). They were always there for the rescue because she was the "girl." I'm a girl too and no one was helping me out and look I turned out alright and self-sufficient. Yeah, I get down on myself and feel like I can't turn to anyone but when I buckle down it's ME who gets things done in my life. Just sitting next to this woman, I mean older "girl" I feel sad for her because she loses her backbone (thank god she's married so there is a second person to help finance). And I get jealous for my boyfriend, he gets punished for the good that he has done in his life. He did all the activities in High School, competed in College Tennis, works for a good company, is self-sufficient, saved money(even though it needs to be better) for stuff, is a great human being because of the tough spells but his parents don't see that.

I want to know, when does his punishment stop for being good. Her punishment should never start because she has had it tough, I never want to go through raising a child in a parent's home. But when do his parents stop punishing him for what his sister did? I want to know this! I can't handle looking at them and knowing that we will never be treated or loved as a couple as much as his sister.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?